Ah gin… Favoured by the Brits, this classic spirit has a touch of refinement about it.
A staple in many popular cocktails, this summer time tipple is perfect when mixed with a range of flavours or with just a simple wedge of lemon with soda or tonic.
Explore the different possibilities of gin in these two tempting cocktails that are both easy to make and drink.
G and Tea
You’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t know the classic G and T, but what about G and Tea? This cocktail – served either cold or warm – uses classic Indian spices and a bit of cheeky wordplay.
3 tsp or 1 teabag black tea
500ml boiling water
1 measure London dry gin
3 cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks
Splash of tonic or soda water
Sprig of mint
1. Brew tea, cardamom pods and 1 cinnamon stick with freshly boiled water. Allow to infuse for 3-5 minutes.
2. For a cold version of this cocktail, half fill a martini glass with shaved ice. Skip this step if serving warm. Fill glass ¾ full with infused tea.
3. Add gin and tonic or soda water.
4. Decorate with cinnamon stick and sprig of mint.
This concoction is summer in a glass. Full of punchy, fruity flavours, a Gin Tropical is a delicious way to pass a warm afternoon.
8 ice cubes
2 measures gin
½ measure fresh lemon juice
1 measure passion fruit juice
½ measure orange juice
Splash of soda water
Sprig of mint
1. Put 5 of the ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Pour in gin, lemon juice, passion fruit juice and orange juice. Shake well.
2. Put 3 ice cubes in a tumbler or old fashioned glass and strain cocktail over ice.
3. Top up with soda and stir gently.
4. Decorate with lemon wedge and sprig of mint.
Words by Emily Russ