Gingerbread is a favourite all year round, especially leading into the Christmas season.
Brisbane Weekender share their secret behind edible Christmas decorations – scrumptious cookies in the shapes of gorgeous gingerbread men, Christmas trees and stars.
Each cookie has been wrapped with a plastic sealable bag and beautiful red and white ribbon. The shapes will alternate on each plate for this years Christmas dinner.
Recreate these cookies and you will have beautiful take-home gifts for your guests. Or wrap them as a gift for somebody special.
Melted butter, to grease
125g butter, at room temperature
100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) CSR Brown Sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
1 egg, separated
375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Plain flour, to dust
150g (1 cup) CSR Pure Icing Sugar, sifted
1. Bake the cookies and then allow to cool.
2. Whisk one cup of sifted icing sugar with one egg white to form the icing. Colour if desired.
3. Begin in the icing process. Pipe the icing on to the cookies, one detail at a time.
4. Once each cute button and bow tie has been iced, allow to dry.
5. Delicately place the cookies in the bags or wrap them with cellophane.
6. Tie the wrapped goods with gorgeous red and white ribbon.
These look beautiful hanging off the Christmas tree until you are ready to set them on the table. Or let the kids pick their own cookie straight off the tree!