The premier thoroughbred horse racing event of the year, Melbourne Cup, is set to take Australia by storm with a selection of fantastic picks.
Melbourne Cup has twenty four sweeps, each one picked based on weather, weight, training and let’s not forget those who pick by uniform colour. This guide includes an interesting fact about our favourites, helping to select a winner this year.
The 2014 Melbourne Cup Race Details (Gr. 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup)
Number in 10 Races: 7
Time: 3:00pm Eastern Daylight Saving Time (2:00pm Brisbane)
Length: The winner will run will run approximately 3 minutes and 20 seconds
What We Love
1. Admire Rakti We Love: Only rises half a kilo
3. Fawkner We Love: Has the best weight-for-age form
4. Red Cadeaux We Love: Well traveled – Australia, Dubai, Japan and Hong Kong
5. Protectionist We Love: Racing with jockey Ryan Moore
7. Seismos We Love: Brings the luck of the Irish and was born 26/04/2008
8. Junoob We Love: Has 6 wins from 18 starts
9. Royal Diamond We Love: It’s all in the name for us!
Seriously though, he won the 2012 Group I Irish St Leger (2800m) at his first stakes outing
10. Gatewood We Love: Won the Group III Geelong Cup (2400m)
11. Mutual Regard We Love: Terrific record around this distance
21. Araldo We Love: Did not run on Saturday to guarantee a Melbourne Cup start
24. Signoff We Love: One of the best jockeys in the world
Note: 2. Cavalryman and Sea Moon have been scratched
Melbourne Cup. Credit Paradiseisles.